SABC terminating its Contract with Muvhango

1

SABC terminating its Contract with Muvhango

Word of Mouth Production, owned by Duma Ndlovu, is in hot water as the cast and crew members of multi-lingual soap opera, Muvhango, have stopped working. According to reports by Sunday World, members of the production have not been paid their October and November salaries. The situation has gotten so bad that the cast and crew has threatened to leave the soapie and sue the production company.

“Last month when we enquired we were told that the SABC did not have money to pay them; that is why they couldn’t pay salaries. When we asked why the company didn’t apply for an overdraft to pay salaries, we were told that we would be paid double on Friday, November 29,” a source told the publication.

Muvhango actors

The source, who asked not to be named due to fear of victimisation, added that when Friday came, they received an email to notifying them that there isn’t money to pay salaries again because the SABC has not paid Muvhango. It is alleged that the SABC is contemplating canning the sudser because it doesn’t have money to keep it on its pay roll.

“We are in constant communication with various players at [the] SABC responsible for our payment but have not received assurances that payment will be made on time to reflect in everyone’s account first thing tomorrow morning [Saturday].

Muvhango Stars

“In the absence of a payment guarantee, we have sent correspondence notifying the broadcaster that we will be shutting down at 2pm this afternoon and we will only reopen when we have been paid,” parts of the email read. Muvhango publicist Karabo Disethle Mtshayelo said that the financially embattled public broadcaster is to blame for the shutdown and not the soapie.