Entertainment

WATCH: Moses Tembe will not comment on AKA arrests until after Anele’s inquest

Advertisement

WATCH: Moses Tembe will not comment on AKA arrests until after Anele’s inquest

An inquest into Anele Tembe’s death was opened in 2023, a few months after rapper AKA was murdered in Durban in February.

Moses Tembe on AKAs death

Moses Tembe, the father of late Anele Tembe, has nothing to say after the arrests of seven suspects linked to rapper Kiernan “AKA” Forbes’ killing.

Advertisement

AKA and his friend and business partner Tebello “Tibz” Motsoane were murdered outside Wish Restaurant on Florida Road in Durban on 10 February 2023.

MOSES TEMBE WILL NOT SPEAK ABOUT THE ARRESTS

Over a year later, on 27 February, the South African Police Services (SAPS) revealed that six suspects were arrested in connection with the alleged hit. Two of them were hiding in Eswatini, while another (who had escaped) was arrested on Wednesday, bring the total up to seven suspects.

Advertisement

Following the reports, Tembe – who is a well-known businessman – refused to comment on the arrests, referring all questions to family spokesperson, Manqoba Zulu.

Speaking to TshisaLIVE, Zulu said that Tembe will not be available until after the inquest into his daughter’s death has been completed.

ANELE’S DEATH

Anele – popularly known as “Nelli” – fell to her death from the 10th floor of the Pepperclub Hotel on Loop Street in Cape Town on 11 April 2021.

At the time, the 22-year-old was at the hotel with AKA. By his own admission, they had had a fight before her tragic death.

329857044 612083060730203 7646540094443361015 n

After extensive investigations, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) ruled Anele’s death a suicide. However, her family refutes these findings.

TEMBES BLAME AKA FOR ANELE’S DEATH

In June 2022, the Tembe family responded to the NPA with a scathing letter in which they accused the 35-year-old hip-hop artist of killing their daughter.

In the letter, the family spoke of “scratch marks on AKA’s body, specifically at the back,” which they referred to as “defensive marks”. The Tembes said they believed that the marks were in an upward direction because AKA was carrying Anele on his shoulders while she attempted to defend herself.

Anele’s family also claimed that their daughter did not climb over the balcony, as initially suggested, because there were no fingerprints to prove it.

In addition, the Tembes claimed that AKA allegedly cleaned up the hotel room — which was covered in blood — and only called reception to require assistance with their altercation after Anele had already fallen.

The letter read: “He did not attend to his injured fiancé, who remained alive for approximately 20 minutes. He did not go to perform CPR on her; instead, Stefanutto, a complete stranger, cared enough to administer CPR and call emergency services in an attempt to save Anele Tembe’s life”.

THE INQUEST

Speaking to The South African, Western Cape police spokesperson Captain Frederick Van Wyk stated that the NPA opened a formal inquest into the circumstances surrounding the death of Anele.

“Please be advised the investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Anele Tembe was never closed and is still an active investigation. The matter is scheduled for a formal inquest at the Cape Town magistrate’s court from 15 April.

“The investigation has been completed. The family of Anele Tembe has been updated constantly of the progress made in the case. To date the investigating officer remains in contact with the family.”

TEMBE ON BEING ACCUSED OF ORDERING HIT ON AKA

Various conspiracies have been made by fans since AKA’s murder, including claims that Anele’s father was behind the elaborate assassination plot.

Following the Tembes’ claims in the letter to the NPA, these claims were fuelled. Fans believe that the business tycoon had a motive to murder the rapper.

However, the 61-year-old rubbished the claims in a statement in February 2023; labelling the claims “untrue and without substance.”

“It is with grave concern that my family and I have had to endure a flurry of posts on various social media platforms that accuse me, and members of my family, of being involved in the death of Kiernan Forbes. These accusations are untrue and without substance.

In another statement, he said: “I categorically state that my family feel the pain of the Forbes family and would never be involved in an abhorrent act of this nature.

“While I value the principle of freedom of speech, these cruel and libellous utterances inflict personal and emotional harm on us. After having to deal with the tragedy of the untimely passing of our daughter, this senseless crime has taken a further emotional toll on us. I respectfully request the individuals making these baseless statements to refrain from doing so.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back to top button