
Revealed: Shebeshxt’s Victim Remains Hospitalised After Four-Day Coma
The Polokwane Magistrate’s Court was presented with harrowing details this week as the bail application of controversial musician Shebeshxt, whose real name is Lehlogonolo Chauke, unfolded. The ‘Lekompo’ hitmaker faces a slew of serious charges, including attempted murder, and will remain behind bars until at least December after the court postponed his hearing.

The artist, who has been in custody since his arrest earlier this month, appeared in court to plead for his release on bail of R50,000 (approx. US$2,660). His legal team argued he is the sole breadwinner for his unemployed parents and partner and poses no threat to the community. However, the state is firmly opposing his release, painting a very different picture of the events that transpired on October 19.
The court heard how a casual encounter on Witklip Street in Ladanna escalated into a life-threatening situation. Investigating Officer W/O Phaladi Makola, attached to the Limpopo police investigating unit, provided a chilling account. He testified that two fans in a Nissan vehicle spotted Shebeshxt driving his blue VW and attempted to greet the popular figure.
The interaction, however, was not met with warmth. W/O Makola told the court,
“They tried to greet him as he is popular. [Shebeshxt] said ‘Kgane a le tlale ka nna’ (You don’t respect me or don’t know who I am).”
The situation deteriorated rapidly from there. The officer continued,
“They then saw him pull out a firearm. The two cars were parallel to one another. He fired a shot at the occupants.”
Shebeshxt’s Victim Is Still In Hospital And Was In A Coma
The consequences of that single gunshot were severe. The bullet reportedly pierced the rear window of the Nissan, struck the driver’s headrest, and ultimately hit the passenger in the cheek. While the driver attempted to pursue Shebeshxt’s vehicle, he was unsuccessful and instead rushed the injured man to hospital.
W/O Makola revealed the grave condition of the victim, stating,
“He has been in hospital since October 19. He was in a coma for four days.”
The officer further confirmed that the alleged firearm has not been recovered, as the accused “didn’t want to surrender it.” In a significant blow to the defence’s characterisation of the event, Makola added, “We have checked the database and it shows he has never applied for a licence for any firearm.”
A Plea for Freedom Amidst Withdrawals
In his affidavit, read to the court by his lawyer Lot Ramusi, Shebeshxt made an emotional appeal for release. He insisted he would not interfere with witnesses or evidence, stating,
“I will comply with court orders. I won’t interfere with the evidence or contact witnesses. I don’t know who the witnesses are. Even if I get to know them, I won’t interfere.”
In a surprising twist, the court was informed that some of the complainants had approached the police on the very day of the hearing to withdraw their charges, expressing a desire not to proceed with the case. Despite this development, the state maintained its firm opposition to bail. Magistrate’s Court officials have remanded Shebeshxt in custody, and the matter has been postponed to December 8 for a further bail application hearing, leaving the musician’s future hanging in the balance.



